This year, knitting has gained lots of well-deserved attention (thank you Tom Daley!) and we want to give it a little bit more.
We have been inspired by Kite's very own product assistant and knitting queen, Scarlett, who recently created a fab patchwork cushion cover that is too good to keep to ourselves.
Read our blog to discover the benefits of knitting, find out how to give Scarlett's knit a go, and explore some of our favourite Kite knitwear pieces.
Knitting is a great activity for all ages.
For beginners, it is a really satisfying and rewarding way of learning a new skill.
It encourages time away from screens and is a great way to relax, offering lots of mental health benefits and helping to reduce anxiety and lower blood pressure.
Also, you get a one-of-a-kind piece at the end of it which you can keep or gift. Homemade knitted goodies are great for sustainable gifting, which is handy with Christmas just around the corner.
Scarlett's patchwork cushion cover
Combining her love for knitting and passion for Kite, Scarlett decided to make a beautiful, patchwork cushion cover using some of the different knits that feature in our latest collection.
If you're a keen knitter like Scarlett, why not follow her instructions and give it a go?
If you're a novice (like many of us!), you could start with LoveCrafts' simple beginners knitting guide.
1. If you are a beginner, start with a chunkier yarn. Your work will grow more quickly which is a great motivational boost for any knitting newbies!
2. When casting on, don't pull your stitches too tight. If your tension is too high you will struggle to get your needle through the stitch loop. If your tension is too loose, your work may look like it has gaps in.
3. When switching between knit and purl stitches, make sure your yarn is to the front of your work when doing a purl stitch and to the back (behind your needles) when doing a knit stitch.
4. Challenge yourself and try new techniques. Aim for progress, not perfection.
5. Be patient. Knitting takes time but that's what makes the end result so satisfying!
For some of you, knitting something to wear might be a walk in the park. But if you’re not quite there yet, we have lots of wonderful knitted styles for you to discover.
We use moss stitch for our blankets, and stitches such as stocking and garter for our jumpers, leggings, bodysuits and more.
With dark evenings and stormy weather afoot, we think it's a great time to pick up some needles, set yourself a knitting challenge, and maybe even snuggle up in one of our cosy styles at the same time.
We'd love to hear how you get on!